Metropolitan Community Church of Greater Saint Louis
( MCCGSL )
_MCCGSL is a progressive and radically inclusive Christ-centered community. Welcoming all people, we are also known as a "human rights church" - serving, advocating, and providing safe spiritual space for the LGBTQA community since 1973. MCCGSL is a place to call home.
A Place to Call Home
Daniel McCree was a part of MCC of Greater St. Louis Church congregation until his suicide in 2007. The devotion he had to this "family" was that his attendance required him to walk several block and board a metrolink train (in Belleville) and ride it nearly an hour to the Central West End, then about a mile walk northwards to the building of St. Johns United Methodist, where MCCGSL met for nearly a decade. Daniel passed away in July 2007, knowing that the church's home was in question. But before the location on Sidney Street was secured, and subsequent developments of the new building in the Soulard Neighborhood.
Since 2007, we have "save space for gala" and had a page specific to this family which continues many of the causes Danny held dear to is heart. During his time at MCC, Daniel was integral in the establishment of Ezekiel Project, an HIV outreach ministry, as well as the young adult ministry of the time known as "Generations" (Now E3 Youth).
The History Of MCC of Greater St. Louis: Metropolitan Community Church of Greater St. Louis is part of an international denomination with 52,000 members worshiping in 314 congregations in 16 countries.
It was founded by the Rev. Troy Perry in October 1968 to express the simple message of “God’s love for all” regardless of sexual orientation or identity.
The MCCGSL website chronicles the church’s local history:
• The first public Worship Service was in Oct. 28, 1973.
The Rev. Carol Cureton pastored with 10 people in attendance in rented space from Berea Presbyterian located at 3010 Olive Blvd.
• On April 24, 1974, MCCGSL became a chartered church in MCC and bought property at
5108 Waterman, making it the first LGBT organization in St. Louis to own property.
• The Waterman building was sold in 1984 and the church secured a church building at 1120 Dolman. (near todays Truman Parkway in the Lafayette Park Neighborhood.
• Under the Rev. Brad Wishon, the building on Dolman was sold in November 1996 due to the financial demands of caring for an old historic church building.
• From Nov 1996 - Dec 2007 Space was then rented at St. John’s United Methodist Church at 5000 Washington Place and continued until that church was closed in 2007.
• Since Jan. 6, 2008, worship has continued at 112 Sidney St. near the Soulard area with offices at 4247 S. Grand Blvd.
• June 2008 , MCCGSL closes on 1919 S. Broadway, with a $2 million dollar renovation plan. Current plans estimate services will be held at the new facility around the spring of 2009.
• June 21, 2009 , MCCGSL holds it's first
worship service at 1919 S. Broadway.
A Ribbon Cutting Ceremony was held.
• August 30, 2009, the Dedication of
the sanctuary was held, officiated by Rev. Elder Lillie Brock.
• September 26, 2009, Grand opening
Celebration, community wide event with participants, Band Together, Gateway Mens Chorus, Symetry, Fruit Jam, CHARIS, and the MCCGSL Choir. Officiated by MCC Moderator, Rev. Elder Nancy Wilson. Elder Wilson served more than a decade as the Senior Pastor of the founding MCC congregation in Los Angeles, and is the second Moderator of MCC, following the founder of MCC in 1968, Rev. Troy Perry.
For more information, visit www.mccgsl.org or call 314-361-3221.